Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Working on some little projects

I can not believe how long its been since my last post. My hubby has been off for two weeks and he is such a bad influence. But I have been stealing a few hours a day to work in the garage. I have also been busy getting the outside of the house ready for winter. Two weeks ago we were in t shirts and then bam fall hit, bringing with it the cold temps. We have had a lot of rain the past few weeks which is also making me feel 90 years old with my arthritis. But even with all of that going on I still like to drift into my own little world in the garage. I have a bunch of little projects on the go that I want to finish and clear out of the garage. It has been hard to work this last week because I have had to put all of my paints and other products in the house, to prevent them from freezing. The temperature really dips down at night and I felt it was best to bring everything in where its warm. So the last couple of days when I have been painting, I have had to make trips in and out of the house. (Mental note to self, look for house in Ontario with garage attached to the house). I wish I had a spot here in the house I could work, but the house is so small. I think I am going to have to set something up in the basement so I can paint over the winter. Because I will go stir crazy if I can not paint over the winter.


 
I picked this little cabinet up and thought it had potential
 
 
 
 
 
 
This little cabinet is now a Anne Sloan meets Martha Stewart makeover
I had a little bit of Anne Sloan green left over and some grey Martha Stewart Chalk paint
I used the green as the base and dry brushed the grey over the sides and put one coat on the door
I have used dark wax on it to age it and still have to sand it all down and distress it
 doesn't the door knob plate and old door knob
give it character
 
 
 
This mirror I picked up at a thrift store and it looked very regal in gold
But
 
 
 
It looks stunning in black
I should know by now not to bring mirrors in the house to take pics
because once they go up on the wall , they tend to stay there lol
 
You'll see I took the rest of my pics outside, before I kept all of them he he
 
 
 
I picked this up a thrift store as well and it did not look bad in white
but
 
 
 
It looks prettier in blue
 
 
And here is another regal looking gold mirror
 
 
 
That looks very pretty in pink
 
 
 
 
I have had this mirror for a while and before it gets broken
I thought I had better get it painted
 
 
 
I painted a base coat of grey and topped it with my homemade chalk paint
I am hoping when it dries and I distress it that the grey will show through
 
And for those of you that have started to make your own chalk paint
There are many recipes online, I used unsanded grout and a water based paint
it works great but it is hard to get it to mix without lumps
 
 
 
I picked this milkshake mixer up at the thrift store for $5.00
I mix a bit of water and unsanded grout together
then slowly add the paint
Works great at mixing the chalk paint
And everything washed up with water
and no lumps  
 
 
So as you can see I have not vanished , I am still here painting and picking
Hope to get to Langley this week and pick up more paint
my Anne Sloan paint supply is empty
And do some shopping too

 
 I want to finish this post by sending a message to all of my American friends and all the people living in the path of Hurricane Sandy
 
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the people affected by Hurricane Sandy
It is heart breaking to see all of the destruction
And I hope that power is restored and that the clean up is quick
And I pray that everyone stays safe and that there is no more damage from this hurricane
 
hugs
 
 
 
And Maggie
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 








1 comment:

  1. I love what you have done with the frames. I am a bit jealous. But again mostly I love the dog.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete