Monday, September 10, 2012

September 11 2001

September 11 2001
 is a date that no one will ever forget. I could not do a post today about upcycling and bargain shopping. And yet I could not let this day go by without speaking my thoughts.
This day is the day that the world stood still and we all held our breath and prayed. We prayed for the lives lost and for the lives affected by those losses. We were angry, we were scared and we were heart broken.
I was at work and I wanted to run and gather my children and grandchildren and hold them in my arms. I wanted to see them and hold them and keep them safe. I could not believe what had happened and in my mind it seemed so unreal.
The world will never forget the heroes and the sacrifices that were made that day to save others.
I will never forget that day and I hope to never have to witness anything like it again.
 
This date is also very special to me, on September 11 2002, I was at work at the YWCA women's shelter and housing complex. On that day one of the tenants that lived in the permanent housing went into labour quicker than she had expected. With only three of us in the office, one girl got on the phone with 911 and me and the other girl went to the girls apt. Well this baby was in a hurry to arrive and we helped deliver the baby before the ambulance had a chance to get there.
 
I am the mother of 5 so I have done the birth thing before, but trust me its different when your in the doctors place. We both tried to be calm so we would not upset the young Mom, but I was a nervous wreck. The baby arrived very healthy and very quick, the ambulance showed up about 10 minutes later. I can not explain how I felt to be part of this babies birth and to bring this little girl into the world.
 
This is the memory I like to remember on September 11. Please don't get me wrong I am not forgetting anything that happened or any of the pain and tremendous loss that occurred on Sept 11 2001.  But today although I mourn the loss of the many lives that were lost that day,  I also remember the life that came into the world on that date 1 year later.
 
This little girl who came into the world into my arms the second she was born. I remember her little face and her wrinkled little body. I can still here her first cry and see the joy on her Mothers face. I can still remember the relief that I felt that the baby and her Mom were alright. I did not know when I woke up and went to work that day, that I would be part of such an amazing experience.
And I was so excited to go home and tell my children what I had done at work that day.
 
So today while my mind remembers all the pain and loss that occurred on Sept 11 2001, my heart swells at the memory of that little girl who came into the world on Sept 11 2002.
 
I wish I could share a pic of her, but all of my pictures are in storage in Ontario.
Today I know all of you will remember that dreadful day and remember where you were that day and all the emotions you felt. I will also think of the horror of that day, but I will also have a very heart warming memory of that date too.
 
And today I want to wish a very special little girl
 
a very
 
 Happy 10th Birthday
 
 
Happy Birthday
 
 
 Liberty
 
 
I hope you are having a wonderful happy life and that you are safe and loved
 
And to everyone reading this post I wish all of you the same
 
hugs
 
 
 
 
 
 





3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Tobey - and what an incredible journey you had - Liberty is such a beautiful fitting name!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzan, Her Mom thought the name suited her because of the date she was born. It was an incredible day, I remember saying to my boss, how do I add this to my resume. I worked at the women's shelter for 3 years and I met many amazing women. It was the most fulfilling job I have ever had. thanks for your comment, hugs Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  3. My DAughter was also born on SEpt 11. She was 3 years old when her birthday was not just a birthday .Have a great day

    ReplyDelete