Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My hubby has no clue what I do


This is an old post but I thought I would share it, in case you missed it

I have taken the last two weeks off to let my body and leg heal after my fall
I am feeling much better and I am ready to get back to work
more projects to come soon

Hope everyone is well and finally getting some nice weather



Today I realized that my husband really has no idea what goes on in the garage and with my projects. He works long hours and if he is not at work, he is sleeping or laying on the couch. He works 4 weeks straight without a day off and that is tough on your body. I understand that and I try to take all of that in to consideration when I ask for help in the garage.

Today he came out after work to help me lift a new 9 drawer dresser I had just bought. I am hoping to make it into a gorgeous entertainment centre.
I mentioned I had to wax a vanity before I took it to the store to sell. This is that conversation.

Hubby with no clue: Won't it be hard for them to write on it with chalk if you wax it
Tobey: Why would they be writing on a vanity?
Hubby with no clue: I thought that's why you paint everything with chalk paint
Tobey: You really have no clue what I do, do you?
Hubby with no clue: Yes I do
Tobey: Really tell me
Hubby with no clue: You paint stuff with chalkboard paint then you wax it
Tobey: So the dressers, vanities, dining room tables and chairs that I have painted is for everyone to use as chalkboard, have I got that right
Tobey: And everything is painted with chalkboard paint
Hubby with no clue: Well that's what I thought you bought the Anne Sloan paint for, why don't you just use regular paint then, if they don't write on it

I just stood there and looked at him, I realized that all of the conversations I have had with him over this last year about Anne Sloan had fallen on deaf ears. He had no idea why he drove with me 4 hours each month to buy paint, he did it because he had too. All the times I talked to him about waxing and distressing furniture he wasn't listening. He really had no idea what chalk paint was or why I used it. He seriously thought everything I painted and sold, was so people could draw on it with chalk
All he heard this last year was bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
 

When I read other blogs about husband and wives working together on projects it makes me jealous. I want that so bad, to work side by side on something together. But I know that will never happen, not in this life time.

The garage is my domain and he very rarely comes in there, actually I think it scares him to even look in there. He will help me if I ask him if something is too heavy or I can't get a screw out or something like that. But as soon as he is done I turn around and he is gone.

Some women lay in bed at night and dream of romantic sexy men. I dream of one that will come work in the garage with me. My hubby knows this, his answer is some guys are handy and some are handsome. Apparently he thinks he is the handsome type lol
I keep telling him I am going to trade him in for a handsome and handy man, but he doesn't believe
me. But a girl can dream........................

And here is a peak at what I am working on this week,




one pane of glass is missing, so I am planning something different for that
Right now I am having a hard time choosing a colour

Any suggestions ?


And I had to share a pic of something I picked up this week
I could not resist this
Yes I know I am supposed to be downsizing but when I saw this I had to have it
I will take it back to Ontario
and either use it as a bathroom vanity or as a buffet


Isn't it gorgeous, can you see why I had to have it

Right now I am thinking I should paint it white on the bottom and restain the top

I have had a few offers on it but I am not willing to part with it
This baby is coming back to Ontario with me


And now I need to get motivated after being off for a few weeks
and get back to work

hope everyone is well
have you been to any yard sales yet?
I haven't seen any out here yet
are there yard sales in your area?
I guess it all depends on how nice the weather is where you live
I know some areas still have snow

hope its spring where you are

 
 
and my lil sidekick
 
Maggie
 
 
 

 

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I thought this post was from Suzan!!lol
    And I can see why you two are good friends!:)

    When I'm getting furniture, my husband always helps me because I don't drive and bring them home and unload them into the garage or in the house.
    Then he says " Well, half the job is done!"
    Really? Sanding, filling,sanding again, painting, waxing and all other stuff is just the other half???He's got no clue either....lol

    I'm glad you feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sayuri, Thank you so much for the comment. I really do not think they know the work involved in what we do. I don't think a lot of the people that email when I post stuff for sale online do either. I got such an email today, I am selling a desk and cabinet for $200.00, I had to repair it, paint it in two colours, wax it, buff it and replaced all the hardware. And they offered me $75.00 without even seeing it. You just want to reach through the computer and smack them.
      I am still bruised but feeling much better, thank you so much.
      hugs Tobey

      Delete
    2. Tobey,
      Things like that happen to me too, people email me with an " offer".I was selling my dresser for $195 and someone emailed me with one sentence.He wrote" I'll give you 75bucks for your dresser".
      I didn't even bother to reply!And for $395 buffet ( which I sold today, yay!)someone said "I can only afford $100." I politely turned down the offer...
      But what happened today beats everything!! I was selling my French Blue Cabinet which I glued applique on the front.It was in upstairs so my son and I broguht it down to the main floor for the lady who was coming to see it today. My husband wanted to move it so that it'll be closer to the wall, he GRABBED the applique and try to lift it so the applique came off!! I was so mad at him!!! I ran upstairs to grab the glue, applied it in such a hurried manner, and the moment I put it back on, I heard the door....that was the lady for the cabinet!I explained her what just happened thinking probably she won't get it because of that, but she didn't mind it and bought it...phew!!
      Really, my husband has no clue how much effort I put into these furniture!!!

      Delete
    3. Sayuri, So glad the lady still bought the buffet. My husband has broken things too, he has a bad habit of putting things down on top of freshly painted furniture.
      I just corresponded for two weeks with a lady that wanted a dresser I am selling. Today she was supposed to email me the money for the dresser instead she says she is going on vacation and will talk to me in 2 weeks. I wonder if people that have their own stores deal with this. This is why when I get to Ontario I am going to do barn sales instead twice a year, no more online selling.
      hope you have a great day, hugs Tobey

      Delete