Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Decorating on a budget, get creative

I have never been one to follow the norm, that said I like to surround myself with things that make me happy. I like to rescue items that have a history and a story. I am addicted to the DIY network and love American Pickers and the new show Crackling Antiques. Finding something old that is unique and giving it a new look or a new home is so much fun. Shopping in second hand stores and flea markets and yard sales and spotting a great find is a huge rush then getting that item for a very low price makes it even more exciting. When I find some items I already know what the use will be or how they will look when I refinish them.

There is a lot of stuff out there that have can mutilple uses, you just have to use your imagination. A table becomes an island, a dresser becomes a buffet, or an entertainment unit. An old door becomes a headboard, exterior shutters become interior decor, old flower pots or vases become lamps or pendant lights.

In an age where everyone is recycling and trying to save the planet, why not go one step further and recycle items that might have been taken to the dump. If you have old couches or chairs that you don't like anymore, have them reupolstered or buy slip covers, have a mirror that does not match your decor anymore, paint it, shift furniture to other rooms and give them a new use.

Creating a home surrounded with items that I have created or restored gives me a incredible feeling of accomplishment. Anyone can go to a store and buy furniture from a dept store and put it in their home, but I don't want a furniture showroom house. My home is more personal and unique and all of my collections are a reflection of me and my life, and I love the way everything looks. And isn't that what it is all about, shouldn't your home make you happy, a home where you and your family and friends feel at home.
I want a home that wraps you up like a soft blanket and gives you that ahhh its good to be home feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment